'Welcome to My Tangled Garden'
         

Thursday, August 6, 2015

Butterfly Gardens ~ How To Attract Butterflies

Verbena 'Estrella Voodoo Star' 
Butterflies love Verbena. 'Estrella Voodoo Star' shown at right is an annual. The annual types of verbena come in some beautiful color combinations but unfortunately aren't as cold tolerant as the perennial types.  I've mulched over the winter, but have only managed to keep them going for a few years.  Also, their stems don't seem to be as rugged as their perennial cousins.  Isn't that just like mother nature? Beautiful but fragile. Perennial Verbena 'Homestead' is a butterfly magnet.  One year we had a row of them planted at the base of a garden wall and the air was just alive with Swallowtails and Monarchs.
  
Verbena 'Homestead'
And when we have a milder winter or early spring it cheerfully pops out in bloom with the daffodils to let us know winter is nearly over. Homestead Verbena performs better when it has been rejuvenated after being dormant for the winter months.  When the weather turns milder; I turn my husband loose on it with the lawnmower set on high to get rid of the dead, leggy stems and it forms a more compact plant.
This variety of verbena isn't an invasive ground cover but also roots easily where it touch the ground and if you pull mulch up around the lower stems you'll have a new plant in no time.
Verbena Homestead forms a nice ground cover or filler for your flower beds and that lovely amethyst color really pops.


Coreopsis


Coreopsis are very easy to grow. A friend gave me seeds from her coreopsis so I'm not sure of the variety, but it had such a pretty fern-like leaf and the butterflies went wild over it.  This type had a larger flower than my smaller coreopsis and grew to about four feet tall.

I can't say I've seen the butterflies show as much interest in the dwarf types but I'll keep an eye out and let you know!

Maximilian Sunflower Helianthus maximiliani 

When October arrives it's time for this large shrubby flower to put on a show and the cloudless yellow sulfur butterflies go crazy.  I waited to long to get a photo, but the look and growth habit is similar to the larger coreopsis types.  I will update this if I can manage to get a decent picture of it.

Well, I'm heading back out to my gardens now~



Clamshell Cottage Vintage